- Celebrate Immigrants Awards: On June 25, ‘I Am An Immigrant’ announced the recipients of the inaugural Celebrate Immigrants Awards. The awardees are immigrants and allies who have made contributions to their community and empowered immigrant communities to thrive. This year’s recipients are:
- José Andrés – Michelin-starred Chef and Humanitarian
- Giannis Antetokounmpo – Professional Basketball Player, Milwaukee Bucks
- Greg Casar – City Council Member, Austin TX
- Diane Guerrero – Author and Actress (Orange Is The New Black)
- Kumail Nanjiani – Comedian, Actor and Writer (The Big Sick)
- Bee Nguyen – Member of Georgia House of Representatives and Executive Director of Athena’s Warehouse
- John McCain – Senior United States Senator from Arizona
- Elias Rosenfeld – Student, DACA Recipient, and Advocate
- Peter Ujvagi – Community Organizer and City Council Member, Toledo, OH
- UndocuMedia – Nonprofit Advocacy Organization and Social Media Influencer
Celebrity Engagement, Digital & Social Media
- On Friday, June 1, the ‘I Am An Immigrant’ campaign released a powerful celebrity video featuring Bellamy Young (Scandal), Javier Muñoz (Hamilton) and Shannon Woodward (Westworld), among others.
- Immigrant Heritage Month hashtags (#CelebrateImmigrants) generated more than 437 million impressions across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram throughout the month of June.
Elected Officials, Business Leaders & Community Voices
Elected Officials Show their Support
- Governors and mayors representing 41 states issued a combined 194 proclamations recognizing June as Immigrant Heritage Month:
- Mayors including Muriel Bowser (Washington, DC), Jim Donchess(Nashua, NH), Rahm Emanuel (Chicago), Kevin Faulconer (San Diego), Jim Kenney (Philadelphia), and Jackie Biskupski (Salt Lake City), issued proclamations celebrating June as Immigrant Heritage Month.
- Governors included Arizona Governor Doug Ducey (R), Texas Governor Greg Abbott (R), Michigan Governor Rick Snyder (R), Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval (R), New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy (D), Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf (D), South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster (R), Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker (R), and West Virginia Governor Jim Justice (R) among others.